11 Plus English Tuition – GL 11+ Exams
The 11+ exam is about testing your child’s aptitude and the importance of a well-rounded education cannot be stressed enough. We at RTG have the experience to prepare your child for the 11 plus exams. We encourage wider reading and building vocabulary as part of our English 11 plus tutoring.
English is one of the core subjects tested within the GL 11+ test. Most GL 11+ exams are either Standard Format (where answers are written in spaces next to the question) or Multiple Choice (where answers are marked in a separate answer book). The length of test papers varies, although 45 to 50 minutes is the most common exam time.
RTG offer both group based tuition and private 11 + tuition for English, verbal and non-verbal reasoning in and around Essex. Our 11 plus private tutors are experienced in ensuring that pupils are fully prepared:
- We assess your child in Maths and English to pinpoint the areas that need attention. These assessments will also let us know your child's reasoning skills. This is because non-verbal reasoning is very mathematical and shares the same lateral thinking as Maths and verbal reasoning is based on vocab and language.
- One of our tutors will then develop a course of tuition to ensure the student progresses to the right standard by the time of the exams. This course of tuition will involve a mixture of syllabus teaching, exam practice and holiday courses.
- As part of preparing your child for a GL Assessment-examined test we use plenty of past and practice papers to familiarise your child with the question types in each subject. (Plenty of exam prep using practice papers is also important for CEM, but the questions types that appear in the real exam are much more unpredictable.)
- We also help children develop good exam technique – encouraging your child to pick off the questions they can answer easily or those that carry the highest marks.
- 11 plus exams are suitable practice for the following schools: Ilford County High, Woodford County High, Chelmsford Girls School, Townley Grammar, Beths Grammar, Bexley Grammar, Chislehurst & Sidcup Grammar School, Henrietta Barnett etc.
Preparation for the 11+ usually begins at the start of Year 4, which ensures that the pupil has at least a year to familiarise himself or herself with the tests. It is essential the students prepare for their tests, and feel comfortable with working under timed conditions.
For more information
If you would like more information on how we can assist you and your child / children prepare for the 11 plus exams, please contact us. One of our experienced 11 plus tutors will be able to assist. Please call the number above to speak to one of our friendly staff or fill out the form on the homepage of our website.